School Lunch Salisbury Steak
Ingredients:
- 2 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp powdered milk
- 2 3/4 cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup flour
Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- In a large bowl, mix together 2 lb ground beef, 2 tbsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 egg, 1 cup rolled oats, 2 tbsp powdered milk, 1/4 cup beef stock, 1/4 cup water
- Scoop mixture out in 1/3 cup measurements, form into patties and place on ungreased baking sheet
- Bake for 25 min
- For the gravy, melt 2 tbsp butter in a saucepan over med heat
- Mix in 1/3 cup flour to make a dry roux, stirring until golden, about 8 min
- Slowly add in 2 1/2 cups beef stock, stirring as you go
- Stir in 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp pepper
- Bring gravy to boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer until thickened, about
- Ladle gravy on top of Salisbury steaks as you plate them
Yield: Enough for at least 4 adults
Source: https://www.tastinghistory.com/recipes/salisburysteak#recipe
Tips:
The ingredients in the sourced recipe were incredibly specific, so I did some rounding. I also came up with a few equivalent ingredients (ex. powdered milk instead of dry milk) when I wasn't totally familiar with what was listed. I also simplified the instructions a little when they seemed needlessly complex.
Hope it's alright. I haven't made it, only my brother has. He used regular milk instead of powdered milk, and I think he substituted the oats with something. His turned out pretty good
Description:
There was a night last week when Lee-Anne and I were wiped out and not feeling capable of making dinner. At just the right moment, my brother texted us saying that he had tried this recipe and it had made more than he'd expected. He invited us over if we hadn't already eaten. It was pretty perfectly timed
He served it with frozen mixed vegetables and mashed potatoes served with an ice cream scoop for that authentic school lunch vibe. We didn't have a cafeteria in elementary school and I never used the one in high school, but I guess it seems authentic to depictions from American television
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment