Curried Chicken Salad with Arugula
Ingredients:
- 1 Granny Smith, or other tart apple
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 carrots
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/4 cup roasted cashews or almonds
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 large handfuls of arugula
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus more for frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:
- Dice 1 tart apple
- Squeeze 1/2 lemon over diced apple to prevent browning
- Grate 2 carrots, chop 1 bunch cilantro and 1/4 cup cashews or almonds
- Warm a little olive oil in a skillet
- Season 1 lb chicken breast, then add to skillet
- Sear on each side for about 2 min, until golden
- Add enough water to cover the chicken and bring to a boil
- Lower temp, cover, and let simmer 15 min
- Remove from heat and allow to cool within the water
- Once cool, remove and cut chicken into bite-sized pieces
- In a bowl, combine 2 tsp curry powder, 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1 tbsp olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste
- Stir together chicken, apple, and carrots into curried yogurt
- Distribute 4 handfuls arugula over four plates, spoon chicken salad over arugula and top with chopped nuts
Yield: 4 plates
Source: The Diabetic Code Cookbook
Tips:
I think Lee-Anne used a honeycrisp instead of a Granny Smith because that's what we had. It was still good but I could see how a tart apple would be more compatible
Description:
Last year when Lee-Anne and I were in Kenabeek, we brought up three cookbooks: The Diabetic Code, The Mediterranean Table, and a third which didn't yield too much that we could make with ingredients we have on hand. But of the former two, we made lists of what we would like to try making. This is the last recipe from The Diabetic Code that we highlighted as something nice to try.
Off the top of my head, this is the book that gave us Quickles, Cauliflower Crust, Mulligatawny, and Huevos Rancheros. I think we tried a few salads that didn't feel complete enough as concepts to post here, if that makes sense.
But of the ones I listed, each proved worth repeating, except for the Cauliflower Crust which, while functional, was just a bit too labour intensive to do regularly. And the first time I made the Huevos Rancheros I added a can of chiles in Adobo instead of a tablespoon, making it 16 times as hot as it should have been. So it took some bravery to try it again, but it's very pleasant at its intended spice level.
Unfortunately, I think this Curried Chicken Salad will be going with the Cauliflower Crust into my "One Offs" Gryphood binder. I liked it okay, but it didn't seem to live up to Lee-Anne's expectations (she was the one that chose and prepared the recipe), and she said she likely wouldn't make it again.
I'm still including the recipe here as it felt complete, and it marks an accomplishment in trying all the things from the Diabetic Code that seemed appealing and doable for us. There might be something else in there, but I guess this marks a semi-retirement of that book, at least in our kitchen

Comments
Post a Comment