Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

 

 
 
Ingredients:

  • 1/2 tsp honey
  • 2 1/4 tsp yeast (amount of 1 package)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Pizza sauce
  • Mozzarella 
  • Pizza toppings 

Instructions:

  1. In a bowl, stir together 3/4 cup hot water, 1/2 tsp honey, 2 1/4 tsp yeast
  2. Let sit until foamy, about 10 min, then stir in 1 tbsp olive oil
  3. In a separate, large bowl, stir together 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, and 1 tsp salt
  4. Slowly add in the yeasted water, kneading as you go, until the dough comes together as a ball. Can add warm water or flour to increase or decrease its stickiness
  5. Lightly grease bowl, place dough and cover with a dish towel. Let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour
  6. Preheat to 500 F 
  7. Grate mozzarella, chop vegetable toppings. If using meat, should prepare before adding to dough
  8. Using hands or rolling pin, form dough into desired shape  
  9. Add a layer of pizza sauce, then grated mozzarella, then toppings. Can add extra mozzarella on top for better cohesion if desired
  10. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. It should be crisp and lightly browned

Yield: 1 pizza

Source: The Mediterranean Table Cookbook 

Tips:

Original recipe said to use a food processor or dough hook, set to slow, to knead. We have a food processor but I didn't think it went slow enough for the desired effect, so I used a hand mixer. However, as someone that has made a lot of bread dough, after doing this I'm not sure why the use of a machine was necessary. I guess it makes it easier to pour the yeasted water while still kneading, but I think it would be fine to alternate. I think if I were to do this again, I would just do it by hand. Fewer things to clean that way

 Description:

Since I was so fixated on getting the cauliflower crust recipe correct, I didn't feel free to learn a normal pizza dough until I'd accomplished that. In addition, last weekend Lee-Anne's family hosted Christmas in July. Someone brought over a brick oven and the meal of the day was build-your-own mini pizzas. Now free to experiment with traditional dough, this event inspired me to attempt a home version.

Bafflingly, there was a community bake at a public brick oven in one of the local community gardens today. I knew this, and yet I didn't think to make my pizza there. Instead I made it at my mother and brother's place. Oh well, their oven is more reliable than ours and they wound up enjoying it, so everything worked out.

This is the 11th recipe I've made from the Mediterranean Table. The pic might look funny because we didn't have a pizza tray, just a baking sheet. So it's a rectangular pizza. Still tasted good. For toppings, we chose sausage, diced bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, and pickled jalapeno

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huángjīn Pàocài (Golden Pickled Cabbage)

Macaroni Corn Casserole

Little Brother Beef Enchiladas